Treatment at a young age (7-9 years) usually takes 12-18 months and a variety of appliances may be used to correct specific problems. Dr. Shafagh and her team will discuss options with you to provide the best care and treatment program for you and your child.
Early treatment can intercept or prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated. In some cases, Dr. Shafagh will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing. Orthodontic treatment can be started on certain types of skeletal problems even before all permanent teeth have erupted. Through an early orthodontic evaluation, you will be giving your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile.
With early orthodontic evaluations and treatment Dr. Shafagh will be able to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to the protruded front teeth
- Correct habits such as thumb sucking or tongue thrust
- Improve appearance
- Correct cross bites that can lead to asymmetric growth
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
- Possibly reduce the need for further treatment when the patient is older